Riding the Hashtag in Social Media Marketing
The newest trending phrase in social media marketing is Gary Vaynerchuk’s saying “jab, jab, jab, right hook.” Vaynerchuk is a pioneer in social media marketing.
Vaynerchuk previously grew his father’s wine store from a $3 million business to a $45 million busies through the use of social media. Vaynerchuk recently did an interview with the NY Times discussing himself, his brand and the best ways to utilize social media for branding and business purposes.
In 2009, Vaynerchuk and his brother launched VaynerMedia. VaynerMedia has helped several Fortune 500 companies like PepsiCo, Green Mountain Coffee and GE in building their social media presence. Vaynerchuk helps businesses build their content and tell their story.
VaynerMedia is part of the recent campaign by Nilla Wafers. VaynerMedia created the “Momisms” campaign geared towards mothers, the target audience for the Nilla Wafer company. Vayner Media took 5 different ads and shared them throughout social media, the advertisements which were most liked and shared were pushed further through social media marketing.
Since working with VaynerMedia, Nilla Wafers Facebook page has grown from 15,000 to 356,000 likes.
This is the basis of the jab, jab, jab, right hook philosophy.
Vaynerchuk currently has a book out entitled “Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How To Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World.
Hashtags are used to identify messages on a specific topic. Vaynerchuk utilizes hashtags in his business to ride the hashtag waves, this includes utilizing trending hashtags to help market a business or company.
• Here are a few ways to ride the hashtag wave:
1. When tweeting, only incorporate one or two hashtags to not take away from your message. When choosing what to hashtag, pick the most important topics of your message. For example, if you’re tweeting about options for application development in Sydney, Australia, you might want to use the hashtag #australia #aussiejobs or something similar.
2. Try to incorporate trending hashtags: This is the best way to get your message viewed. VaynerMedia has mastered the art of utilizing trending hashtags. VaynerMedia recently used this idea by creating a marketing plan for G.E. to give out 314 pies to social media followers who tweeted about pi on Pi Day – March 14th.
3. Follow the trends: A great way to find about trends on Twitter is to check out Trendsmap.com. Trendsmap can track recent trends based upon your location or niche market.
4. Encourage Engagement: Hashtags help your customers to better engage with your company. Being letting your customers vote about your products color or style using hashtags.
5. Be consumer-friendly: When using hashtags there are certain rules of etiquette to follow to better engage your customer, and keep them interested in your brand, without being annoyed. A few rules include: not using too many hashtags, hashtagscan make it harder for the reader to read the message, keep hashtags simple and to the point. Hashtags that are too specific may not trend as much as an easier word or phrase.
Hashtags can be a great commodity and tool for marketing yourself, your brand or your company. Follow Gary Vaynerchuk, VaynerMedia and other social media business accounts for more examples and the latest ways to get your tweets across!
What’s your view on the hashtag trend? Do share your views in the comment section, we’ll be glad to hear from you.Posted on: February 14, 2019, by : Jason